There is promising evidence that PEMF therapy may help prevent and treat osteoporosis.
1, Rubin CT, McLeod KJ, Lanyon LE. Prevention of osteoporosis by pulsed electromagnetic fields. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1989 Mar; 71(3): 411-7. PMID: 2925715
2. Tabrah F, Hoffmeier M, Gilbert F Jr, Batkin S, Bassett CA. Bone density changes in osteoporosis-prone women exposed to pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMFs). J Bone Miner Res. 1990 May; 5(5): 437-42. PMID: 2195843
3. Satake T. Effect of pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) on osteoblast-like cells. Alterations of intracellular Ca2+. Kanagawa Shigaku. 1990 Mar; 24(4): 692-701. PMID: 2133739
Low-level PEMFs have been shown to exert an anti-inflammatory effect through restoration of plasma membrane calcium ATPase activity.
4. Selvam R, Ganesan K, Narayana Raju KV, Gangadharan AC, Manohar BM, Puvanakrishnan R. Low frequency and low intensity pulsed electromagnetic field exerts its anti-inflammatory effect through restoration of plasma membrane calcium ATPase activity. Life Sci. 2007 Jun 6; 80(26): 2403-10. PMID: 17537462
Multiple published scientific studies show that low-level PEMFs produce a statistically significant reduction in pain when treating acute whiplash injuries, chronic musculoskeletal pain, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, epicondylitis, and neuropathic pain.
5. Lee PB, Kim YC, Lim YJ, Lee CJ, Choi SS, Park SH, Lee JG, Lee SC. Efficacy of pulsed electromagnetic therapy for chronic lower back pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Int Med Res. 2006 Mar-Apr; 34(2): 160-7. PMID: 16749411
6. Thomas AW, Graham K, Prato FS, McKay J, Forster PM, Moulin DE, Chari S. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial using a low-frequency magnetic field in the treatment of musculoskeletal chronic pain. Pain Res Manag. 2007 Winter; 12(4): 249-58. PMID: 18080043
7. Sutbeyaz ST, Sezer N, Koseoglu BF. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic fields in the treatment of cervical osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled trial. Rheumatol Int. 2006 Feb: 26(4): 320-4. PMID: 15986086
8. Shupak NM, McKay JC, Nielson WR, Rollman GB, Prato FS, Thomas AW. Exposure to a specific pulsed low-frequency magnetic field: a double-blind placebo-controlled study of effects on pain ratings in rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia patients. J Rheumatol. 1993 Mar; 20(3): 456-60. PMID: 16770449
A 2003 study by NASA showed that very low-level PEMFs stimulate genes involved in normal cell growth.
9. Goodwin, T. Physiologic and molecular genetic effects of time-varying electromagnetic fields on human neuronal cells. Lyndon B Johnson Space Center. 2003 Sep. NASA/TP-2003-212054
NASA scientists have investigated PEMFs with the ultimate goal of creating an astronaut suit that would provide a countermeasure for the muscle atrophy and bone loss associated with space flight.
10. Byerly D, Sognier M, Arndt D, Ngo P, Phan C, Byerly K, Weinstein R. Pulsed electromagnetic fields – a countermeasure for bone loss and muscle atrophy. Space Life Sciences. NASA.
To see more articles and research more